Tuesday, June 12, 2007

inklings

rhizomes

art is a series of destructive acts. (which makes me think of tschumi's "To really appreciate architecture, you may even need to commit a murder." huh!)

which really starts to make sense to me that everytime i encounter a perfectly beautiful and pristine piece of canvas or sheet of paper, i can barely bring myself to mar it... until i find a speck of impurity or macro-lens my way to the texture of the very fibres of the cloth itself... and find a start in a blemish.

it's a gamble, really. and when the painting sets me uneasy, something has to give in the risk of either improving the painting or completely destroying it. art starts with mistakes. there is no back-up and save to rely on. (hell, i wish there was)

so i tell myself recently. sod the wormholing behaviour. i've become more the demolition team than the architect these days. blackblack oils on blackbad ink. there is no canvas too sacred for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi rei,
i know this blog is for your family and friends, but i popped in some time ago, randomly i think (i can't remember exactly how now!) and i keep visiting it from time to time, for the pleasure of seeing the beautiful and original pictures you take (i love the one of the music listener) and your drawings... and also because i love chile ;-)
bye bye
nine

Rei Salveron said...

nine, what a nice surprise! it's really encouraging to hear from you. especially that my work does get appreciated beyond my immediate friends and family. chile is awesome. thanks for the note. =)

dobby said...

This is our favourite in the recent batch. Looking forward to see more creations. Love-mucho

Rei Salveron said...

Heh, i've noticed you guys liking it alot. Ditto here, it's my fav too so far. finally, i feel i've surpassed the goldfish. heh. am looking forward to painting more too. i feel pretty lucky i have the office project to paint for. big thanks to B.O. =)